Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
E-mail


Davie and Seaspan shipyards share one billion dollar frigates maintenance contract

Davie et Seaspan partagent un contrat de un millard de dollars pour l'entretien de frégates

2019-07-16

 

The Government of Canada today awarded contracts to Chantier Davie and Seaspan Victoria Shipyards Limited, initially totalling $1 billion to carry out maintenance work on the first group of Canada's Halifax-class frigates. A similar contract with Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is currently being finalized. Davie and Seaspan will each receive a $500 million contract.

There was no formal announcement concerning Davie's desire to be recognized by the federal government as a full partner of the National Shipbuilding Strategy. Some analysts speculate this could occur in the coming weeks during the general election campaign. In the meantime, Frédérik Boisvert, Davie's VP for Public Affairs, hailed a step in the right direction, declaring "We are witnessing a renaissance of the shipyard for the years ahead. This contract represents an important chapter in the strategic development of the largest Canadian shipyard. It will extent over nearly 20 years and will total a minimum of 2 billion dollars during this period", Mr Boisvert told Maritime Magazine.

These initial five-year contracts guarantee a minimum of 3 frigates for each shipyard, with work planned to begin in the early 2020s. These contracts are expected to rise in value as additional work packages are added.

The contracts are expected to create or sustain up to 400 jobs at each shipyard, plus hundreds of related jobs for marine sector suppliers and subcontractors across the country.

Read more...
 
E-mail

 


Canadian government sells stake in Ridley Terminals

2019-07-16

A Canadian crown corporation has signed a deal to sell a 90 per cent stake in Ridley Terminals Inc. (RTI) to a private equity company owned by Riverstone Holdings and AMCI Group for $350 million, with the remaining 10 per cent stake transferred to the Lax Kw'alaams Band and the Metlakatla First Nation at the close of the sale.

Established in 1983, as a federal Crown corporation, RTI operates on Ridley Island near Prince Rupert, British Columbia, where it transfers bulk commodities from rail cars onto ocean-going vessels. The primary commodities handled by RTI are coal, petroleum coke and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).

Ridley Terminals has been performing well in the past year, marking its 35 years of operations in 2018 with $117.7 million in revenue and a net income of $47 million.

The Canada Development Investment Corp. put the stake in the company up for sale last year.

The deal is subject to the successful completion of a review by the Competition Bureau and other customary closing conditions. (Photo RTI)

 
E-mail

 


QSL signe pour cinq ans avec ses employés de Baie-Comeau

2019-07-10

Baie-Comeau, QC. QSL a annoncé la ratification d'une nouvelle convention collective avec les employés de son terminal de Baie-Comeau le 9juillet. L'entente, d'une durée de 5 ans, témoigne de la volonté de l'organisation de demeurer un employeur de choix, offrant un environnement de travail stimulant et sécuritaire et de nombreuses perspectives d'avenir.

«Depuis plus de 40 ans, QSL appuie la réussite de ses clients en développant des solutions sur mesure. Nous carburons à l'audace, l'innovation et les défis les plus complexes. Cette culture d'excellence passe évidemment par l'engagement, le talent et la complicité de nos employés. Voilà pourquoi, à travers cette entente, nous sommes fiers de raffermir nos liens de confiance et d'envisager la suite avec enthousiasme. En clair, il s'agit d'une bonne nouvelle pour nos employés, notre organisation et la grande région de Baie-Comeau», de mentionner Antonio Hortas, directeur du terminal Baie-Comeau.

Fortement ancré dans la région, le terminal de Baie-Comeau opère avec succès depuis plus de six ans et compte aujourd'hui 90 employés.  Près de 40 navires en provenance ou à destination des quatre coins du monde y sont débardés chaque année et 1 200 000 de tonnes de marchandises y sont manutentionnées annuellement.

Reconnu pour ses initiatives en développement durable et sa volonté de minimiser l'impact de ses activités sur l'environnement et les communautés avoisinantes, ce terminal est également certifié Alliance verte, un rigoureux programme de certification environnementale pour l'industrie maritime nord-américaine. Photo: QSL

 
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner